Christopher Columbus in Maspalomas

Maspalomas was Christopher Columbus’ last stopping place on his voyages to America. The great explorer anchored off Maspalomas in 1502 on his fourth, and final, voyage. The four ships (two caravels and two carracks) called in at Maspalomas on 24 May and left for the Caribbean the next day. Maspalomas was an ideal place to take on water. The anchorage was sheltered from the wind, and the readily available brackish drinking water lasted well in wooden barrels during the crossing. Tamarisk wood, very useful as firewood, was also available on the coast. Other explorers apart from Columbus stopped in Maspalomas. In 1504 a fleet of four caravels commanded by Juan de la Cosa anchored off the coast of Maspalomas to stock up on meat and take on water and firewood. Later documents, such as a report on problems with a ship in the waters of Gran Canaria, mention Maspalomas as one of the island’s ports. In 1599, Dutch explorer Peter Van der Does stopped at Maspalomas to take on water and bury his dead, after his assault on Las Palmas de Gran Canaria was defeated and he failed to take the island.

Horario

Lunes a domingo de 10:30h a 17:00h

Teléfono

928 772 445

E-mail

faromaspalomas@fedac.org

Dirección

Pl. del Faro, 15,
35100 Maspalomas, Las Palmas